Sunday, December 11, 2011
What to do with those mashed potatoes or anything that requires being drowned in soppy goodness? Here's a quick and easy recipe that is vegetarian, using basic ingredients that you'll have sitting around in the kitchen. Not only will you save time, but this recipe is healthy and can be made vegan too!
Yields 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons of margarine
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of flour - (I use whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce - (I use low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Put margarine in a pot and saute the onions and garlic over med-high heat.
2) Reduce heat back to medium after onions and garlic have become golden brown.
3) Make a roux by gradually adding the flour, while continuously stirring to avoid lumps.
4) Still stirring, add soy sauce and water to the mixture.
5) Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) Once the gravy has reached desired thickness, turn off the stove and you are done!